Even though in this recipe I used Nutella, for a 'standard' ganache, substitute the Nutella with a good quality dark chocolate and chop it into small pieces.
You will need to measure by weight!
You will need:
- By weight:
- Nutella Hazelnut Spread (or chocolate)
- Double Cream
Different ratios of Nutella / Chocolate to cream, by weight, will be determined by the thickness / consistency you need:
- For a glaze and spreading: 1:1 use equal parts Nutella / Chocolate to cream
- For thicker spreading: This is my personal favourite. 2:1.5 use two parts chocolate to 1.5 parts cream (e.g. 200g Dark chocolate and 150g Double Cream)
- For truffles and a thicker spreading consistency: 2:1 use two parts Nutella / Chocolate to ream
- For a soft pour-able glaze: 1:2 use one part Nutella / Chocolate to two parts cream
- Place the Nutella into a medium bowl.
- If using chocolate, chop into small pieces first
- Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring just to a boil and then pour it over the Nutella / Chocolate.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Let the ganache cool slightly before pouring over a cake, cupcakes or ice cream.
- If you’re using it to top a cake, start at the centre and work outward.