It's called "simple syrup" for a reason, you can't get any simpler than this.
Once your cake has cooled for a little while, brush the top of your cake with the syrup to prevent it drying out.
Especially useful if you are carving a cake, applying fondant and decorating.
It also helps to re-moisten if you've left the top of you cake go a little hard.
➻ For a simple syrup:
- Equal parts of water and granulated sugar.
- Combine the sugar and water in a small pan
- Stirring all the time, smmer over a medium heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Allow to cool.
- Decant into a clean container with a good, tight fitting lid.
- Store in refrigerator - will keep for several weeks.
➻ For a richer flavour:
- Follow as above using brown sugar