Grumpy Cat aka Tardar Sauce is a bit of a sensation. But my niece wanted him as a topper for her birthday cake!
You will need:
- Ivory / Pale brown fondant
- Light brown fondant
- Dark brown fondant
- White fondant
- Pink fondant
- Pale blue fondant
- Black fondant
- Edible glue / water
- A cocktail stick or stick of uncooked spaghetti
Step 1: The body and head
- Using the ivory or pale brown fondant, roll a cone shaped body and flatten the bottom by tapping the cone onto your work surface a few times
- Using the same fondant, roll a ball in proportion to the body
Step 2: Face detail
- Cut a light brown circle that is in proportion to the face
- Cut two triangles, for ears, from the same fondant
- Cut a smaller white circle (right)
- Using the cutter you used for the white piece, cut away two sides of the circle so it looks like the shape above.
- You will need to model the very top into a straighter shape.
- Using a smaller circle cutter (I used a large circle piping tip) cut two pale blue curcles
- Cut the tops off both of these
- Stick all these shapes onto the brown circle (see final image)
Step 3: Underbelly bib
- From white fondant, cut an oval white shape for the underbelly bib
Step 4: The nose
- Using pink fondant, mould a sausage shape and make an indent on the bottom in the middle
- Construct the face (as above) before placing on the head of the body
- My hands are not so steady these days so I will be making some adjustments to this.
- Using some small black balls of fondant, stick these onto the pale blue almost half circles then, using white fondant, roll two even smaller balls to use as eye highlights.
- I messed the eyes up on mine to I waited for it to dry then coloured the misshapen highlights into a more presentable circle shape.
- Roll two skinny sausage shapes and trim to fit above the pale blue eyes
- Use an edible pen to draw on the sad mouth.
- Place the face onto the head ball
- Using a cocktail stick, insert this into the body leaving some to stick on the head.
- Place some glue around the visible cocktail stick and stick the head on
- Ensure you cannot seen the cocktail stick
- Glue the brown triangles on for ears
- Glue the underbelly bob onto the front
- Roll some dark brown fondant into a tail and, sticking it at the back centre of your work, curl it around to the front
Allow to dry and top off your cake!