For breakfast, brunch, afternoon tea with butter, fruit or just plain, they're delicious!
Of course, a true Belgian Waffle will have deeper indents / squares than mine but it matters not, you make the best wish what you have
You will need:
For the Waffles:
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, I only use brown sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Toppings - the lists can be endless:
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Maple syrup for drizzling
- Whipped cream
- Soft fruits eg strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc
- Or butter instead of fruits
- Even jams or preserves like my homemade apple butter
Step 1: Combine the dry ingredients
- Mix together the flour, sugar and baking powder and put to one side for a moment
Step 2: The wet ingredients:
- Separate your eggs and beat the yolks.
- Don't throw away the whites, we'll be using those shortly.
- Mix together the milk, melted butter and vanilla.
- Add the egg yolks and mix in.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form when you take out the whisk
- Fold the egg whites, using a metal spoon, into your first mixture.
- Pour batter into the waffle maker and cook until golden brown.
- Follow the instructions for the waffle maker
- Allow to cool
Step 5: Serve and enjoy
Sprinkle with a little icing sugar, drizzle with maple syrup and add toppings.
My toppings here are:
- Top left: Fresh, whipped cream (or vegan alternative) and sliced strawberries
- Top right: Butter
- Bottom left: Apple butter and sliced strawberries
- Bottom right: Raspberries were available but they weren't used
There are endless sweet toppings you can add.
I thoroughly enjoyed mine of strawberries and cream.
I hope you enjoy yours.